Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: After a year has perception of FCPX changed?

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bill DavisRe: After a year has perception of FCPX changed?
by on May 23, 2012 at 2:46:44 am

[Bob Woodhead] "Bill, would you elaborate a bit on your comment below?"

I'll try.

In X. the Event Library is persistent across all of your "loaded" projects. So work you do there in terms of tagging, color correction, pre-editing, etc can be applied to as many Projects as you like.

Notice the word "loaded" above. You can load and unload ranges of projects, even without any LAN or SAN construct simply by locating Project and Event folders on external Firewire drives. Those projects "auto load" upon drive connection and appear in your Event Browser as soon as X sees them.

With this understanding in mind, you can create Events that hold persistent assets - logos, clips, titling, etc, that become available to any and all projects that you might have on line.

The Project Library is also pretty special in my thinking. It's a place that expresses the "live state" of your projects. With a thoughtful strategy for making the clips in your projects persistent (typically via the Share menu) these won't go "off-line" unless you wish them to. So it starts to act like a library (hence the name) of your work that you can revise and re-export at will.

I combine this with Vimeo Pro and YouTube accounts to distribute work for both client approvals and for actually client deployment for public consumption. Since these projects are "live' in my Project library, and editing them is no more difficult than double clicking on them to make changes, I don't think of them as "cutoff" masters any longer, but as assets that are a part of my live video database.

This has been a fundamental shift in my thinking.

With Legacy, a "video" was something I cut off and put somewhere when it was done.

X encourages me to think of my videos more like word processing documents, stored in a particular state now in the Project Library, but ready to use, combine, deploy, or change later as needed.

Thats the best "top of my head" overview I can come up with on the fly.

Hope it helps.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]