Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: Editing scenario - Why PIOPs might not be easy

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeremy GarchowRe: Editing scenario - Why PIOPs might not be easy
by on May 21, 2012 at 8:58:21 pm

And now for the pictures.

Here's a clip that I have for a current project in FCP7. It has extended markers to persistently mark the parts of the clip I like, always and forever.

It is a goalie leaning down in to the camera, and there's multiple takes on this one camera roll:

01_fcp7_extendedmarkers.png

Here's the same clip in FCPX, but instead of extended markers, I know have favorites:

02_fcpx_favorites.png

I now sort the Browser by favorites (control-f) and by filmstrip view (command-option-1). Some might call these "subclips":

03_fcpx_sortedbyfaves.png

So, if I were to mark in and out on all of those favorites and have FCPX remember all those in and out points (in this case it would be 5 from this one clip), when I sort by all clips (control-f), which one of those in and points will be displayed on this clip? Right now, FCPX chooses to display none of them (except for, of course, I have my favorites marked already, so they never go away until I want them too. Perhaps those are PIOPs, maybe?)

So, it is right here, that non "user set" PIOPs would get more complicated as which one should FCPX remember? This same rule also applies to keywords, that is, if you had one keyword on multiple sections of a clip.

Let's work the other way (which presents a bit of a different scenario).

Let's say I select all the favorites, this marks a range that FCPX, actually sort of remembers. For example.

Here's all of the favorites selected, this creates a new range, really:

04_fcpx_allfavesselected.png

Then I sort by Favorites (control-f):

05_fcpx_allfavesselected_sortbyfaves.png

See what happens? All clips are selected but not really ranged. If you notice, the icon is different, it's not a range icon, but rather just a thin yellow line. I can in fact add all of those clip to the timeline through the normal edit features (q, w, whatever you want).

If I sort back to "all clips", then only the last favorite is selected:

06_fcpx_sortedbyallclips.png

Discuss,

Jeremy

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy