Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: Editing scenario

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Simon UbsdellRe: Editing scenario
by on May 15, 2012 at 8:47:39 pm

[Walter Soyka] " I understand that FCPX doesn't have traditional PIOPs, but it does have another mechanism for preserving IOPs, so the same editorial operations can still be accomplished."

I think it's important while accepting that favorites go some way towards answering this question to acknowledge that it's not nearly as clean as it might be when you are dealing with multiple edit decisions within the same source clip.

Surely most editors have the need to try out different edit selections (often only an I or an O and not a range) and having to favorite to keep these selections more or less persistent means having to deal with the limitations implicit in favoriting.

For example, you cannot favorite within an already favorited region without first unfavoriting. This is surely a significant drawback. What if I wanted to keep the favorite that I was unfavoriting but use it for later?

Another example which I keep coming back to because nobody seems to want to give me an answer about it is what to do when you only want to select an I or an O and favoriting under those circumstances means selecting the whole clip forwards or backwards. Am I (again) missing something that I am seeing this as an undesirable consequence of the favoriting "solution"?

I do wonder whether the better solution isn't favoriting at all but rather the judicious use of markers ...

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]