Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: Editing scenario

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Walter SoykaRe: Editing scenario
by on May 15, 2012 at 6:50:43 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "The rest of your questions I think are summed up by Phlip H."

I read that when it was originally posted. Philip talks about how hard PIOPs would be to implement, and suggests that the database as written couldn't support it, and he talks about how backwards anyone who wants PIOPs thinks. He argues that they would make the application too complex, and then he dismisses the whole conversation, saying he isn't going to waste a single additional brain cycle on it because the whole idea is so very, very wrong.

I agree more with Andy Mees in the comments.

I'll go a step further. An appeal to "the database" as a reason that something can't be done is not a get-out-of-jail-free card. Apple designed the whole kit and and caboodle, so if the database is a limiting factor, that's still a consequence of their broader application design. I thought that we had to leave FCP7 behind because its creaky old architecture was too limiting to allow new features. Now I guess FCPX's architecture is too beautiful to dirty up with things like real world user requests.

All that said, I actually like favorites. I think they're well done, and I think they're very powerful. I just think that marking IOPs should carry more weight than marking a selection, and I don't think the app should nuke that user-created data irretrievably when the user simply clicks away to select something else.

But I guess that's just backwards thinking.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
+1
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS