Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: Editing scenario

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jim GibertiRe: Editing scenario
by on May 14, 2012 at 7:26:00 pm

[Walter Soyka] "In other words, I think the timeline model in FCPX is foundational to the program, making the scope of change very, very big."

Not to oversimplify this too much Walter, but I think I've already proven that it's not.

With a very little bit of thinking and manipulating the existing timeline rules, I got FCPX to behave like an EDL that respects horizontal relationships as well as vertical ones - within the parent/child paradigm.

It's as simple as "fooling" the program at the first frame and then fooling it again with a forced clip at the end of a secondary. These two simple things create an environment that does everything that FCPX was meant to do while allowing for a more disciplined timeline in the traditional editing sense.

You can edit into fixed unconnected tracks.
You can move clips free of any primary or secondary connections on any track.
You can drop main audio/synced audio into a fixed audio track without selecting it each time.
You can bring everything together at final edit exactly as in a FCP7 timeline in a matter of seconds.

So it's clear that FCPX can have a traditionally organized timeline exactly as it existed in version 1.0.

I imagine it would take no time at all for Apple to do what I did and add the feature to the program tomorrow.

It has nothing to do with shutting of magnetism either.
It works with magnetism, uses the strengths of magnetism and the parent/child concept.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]