Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: Editing scenario

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Steve ConnorRe: Editing scenario
by on May 14, 2012 at 8:06:04 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "the fact that it is directly based on the methodology, GUI and workflow of iMovie. And steve - iMovie is a consumer product.

FCPX has simplistic, modal (connected editing mode vs primary editing modes), metaphorically reduced use case scenario/my first colouring book simplifications of the underlying track structure.

FCPX is directly based on, and flows out of iMovies methodology, in events, draggable marquee selections, trackless workflow, connected clips, direct links into iphoto and itunes, horribly simplified audio handling, horribly unusable waveforms.

FCPX is a souped up iMovie. It is, by definition, and the fact that it is trying to empower consumer hobbyists to step it up a gear by employing near identical methodologies to their free consumer video product, a prosumer solution. it is trying to lead consumers into more powerful capabilities, while still offering them the simplified hand holding amateur software environment they are used to.

Its kind of painful watching apple trying to tack multicam and some kind of xml spec on this thing. I literally think they are mostly doing it for PR reasons given the nuclear scale of the blowback they received.

but that in short is why its semi-amateur software - it adheres to the logic and simplifications and reduced use case of amateur software - at best its prosumer. In that context 300 is actually fairly expensive for the target market?
"

Interesting thoughts but I'll ask you the question as well, in edit terms what CAN'T you do in FCPX that in turn makes it "semi-amateur"? and you can't regurgitate the usual battle cries of "there's no tracks, they called things different names, it looks like iMovie, Apple mad me sad when they dropped FCP7"

In down and dirty editing what can't you do in FCPX that is vital for "Professional" editing that you can do in other NLE's

Steve Connor
"Sometimes it's fun to poke an angry bear with a stickl"
Adrenalin Television

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]