Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: Editing scenario

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andy NeilRe: Editing scenario
by on May 14, 2012 at 7:29:21 am

[Oliver Peters] "Ironically I never edited this way until FCP. When I first started with NLEs (Avid), I'd come from years of linear. So, my Avid timelines were always only with clips on V1... It's funny that X has put us back into a mindset that seems somewhat reminiscent of what we did 25+ years ago"

I was brought up the same way Oliver. I hadn't thought along those lines, but there does seem to be a correlation. Back in those days, I was working on Avid Newscutter which only had 3 usable video tracks to begin with so V1 was pretty much used for everything.

[Brett Williams]"Wouldnt putting it I the primary overwrite the interview visual? Or are people saying put the interview UNDER the primary, making IT connected to the broll?"

What I was specifically saying was not to edit broll as a connected clip simply because it's broll. Of course a cover shot would be edited as a connected clip if there was already a sound bite in the primary, but for the sections of the video (as outlined in the OP) where it was just broll over music, I would edit the broll into the primary storyline. The music in the example would be either as a connected clip, or secondary storyline (depending on the amount of music editing which was necessary. What you would be left with is a filled primary storyline with a few connected clips over long sound bites, and a secondary storyline holding the music similar to this mock up I've made.

In this example, the clips in the primary storyline with embedded audio are the soundbites. Mixed in there are broll clips with no audio, and also a few connected clips of broll where needed. The music was edited in a secondary storyline.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]