Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: Editing scenario

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andy NeilRe: Editing scenario
by on May 13, 2012 at 4:26:41 pm

There are certainly some issues that make editing this in X more difficult, but there are certain things I would do to make it easier.

First of all, I wouldn't edit the broll as connected clips. They would be in the primary storyline along with the bites. The only connected clips would be any clips that were used to cover part of the bite. If I had to swap sound bites around in my sequence, the only broll shots I would have to worry about would be the ones attached to the bite, and since often those shots are related directly to what was being said in the bite, chances are I would want them to travel with the bite anyway. If not, well, then I would temporarily compound the connected clips and slide them off the clip I was moving. Make the change and then slide the compound back and break it up.

For music, I'd be tempted to use a secondary storyline depending on how much music editing was required. The secondary storyline gives me the maximum flexibility for that. If I had to change the music, I'd create another secondary storyline to cut that music and just disable or delete the previous music. However, re-editing the broll segments would be easy because they would be in the primary storyline.

One of the workflows that editors use in a track system that is hardest to drop in X, is the notion that soundbites need to be in track 1, and broll shots in track 2. We do this in track systems because it makes it easier to keep track of things, and to make changes to bites. In X, it's actually easier NOT to do things this way because of the nature of connected clips.

That doesn't mean some changes might not require extra work, but it doesn't seem all that more difficult to me than editing in a track based NLE.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
+1
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]