Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: advanced audio

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Michael GissingRe: advanced audio
by on May 5, 2012 at 11:33:42 pm

[Tony West] "For those who would never know of, or work with the ringshifter they wouldn't have to look at it.But maybe they did too good of a job hiding."
I don't know what a 'ringshifter' is, but it sounds interesting- and if it's going to help improve the quality of my audio I'd rather it not be hidden from me..."

I guess that is what Apple has called their ring modulator. It always helps to use pre existing definitions and naming conventions but, hey Apple doesn't have a big history there. Trust me it is an effect that deserves to be buried. It is a filter used in electronic music but has almost no application in video sound tracks, so it is just part of a package deal with Logic plugins.

I know this was just a quick demo but none of that is what I would classify as advanced. Two things stand out. One is the screen clutter and the other is the constant mousing. The ergonomics are poor.

Nice to see Roles in action. It does seem like a workable grouping concept. Years ago with DAWs like dSP, I had the ability to define fixed groupings like this and quickly decided it was much better to do temporary groupings as a way of shifting and manipulating. Temporary grouping was track based however but seemed more powerful and useful, particularly when wanting to shift blocks around of "unroled" material, like lets grab this scene and all audio but only the narration from halfway through the scene. Ironically this is what you can do by lassoing clips in FCP before a copy or move or delete etc. I still think this is more powerful and that Roles is better suited to bus routing type activity. If someone can see if that old style lassoing concept still works within X that would be nice info.

Finally a little point on the display of frequency under the parametric EQ. You want it to stay when you stop, not disappear after a few seconds, so you can see the area you are going to set filter frequency and Q. A nice idea and easy to improve I suspect.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
+1
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]