Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: Thank you Apple - and don't change course. Please

COW Forums : Creative COW Magazine feedback

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Walter SoykaRe: Thank you Apple - and don't change course. Please
by on May 4, 2012 at 6:12:28 pm

[John Heagy] "For us ProRes QT is a big reason to hope FCPX will meet our needs. There will never be a better NLE for editing ProRes QT than FCPX unless Adobe embraces AV Foundation. That will never happen unless Apple releases AV Foundation for Windows. Right now Adobe and AVID are suck with 32bit QT APIs."

Let me rephrase this -- "Apple has stuck Adobe and Avid with 32-bit QuickTime APIs."

Behold, the ProRes hegemony.

The rest of the industry is trending toward openness. Apple is the holdout, and they are leveraging infrastructures built around the ProRes to keep themselves in contention where their product offerings themselves may fall short (as you have outlined above).

Nobody liked Microsoft when they did stuff like this in the nineties. I'm curious to see how the industry as a whole will treat electronic delivery over the coming years now that the FCP7/FCPX Sturm und Drang has made everyone acutely aware of how dependent we were on a single closed supplier.

Our intermediates and masters are just simply too important to be controlled by a dictator we had all assumed was benevolent.

I must still often deliver ProRes, but I'm finding that doesn't mean I have to work in ProRes.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter