Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: Thank you Apple - and don't change course. Please

COW Forums : Creative COW Magazine feedback

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Oliver PetersRe: Thank you Apple - and don't change course. Please
by on May 4, 2012 at 12:11:05 pm

[Bill Davis] "Isn't this precisely what Auditions is built to enable? Build P1 with C1 and C2 in Auditions - do the same with P2. Arrange and re-arrange magnetically as you like, and pick your Cutaway. What's the problem?"

I agree this works, but the issue is that I'm trying to make one simple edit change in the fewest number of keystrokes. Doing this with Auditions now adds considerably more moves than even the example I cited. And Auditions only makes sense when you know you are going to have to present options in the first place. Not always the case when responding to the client over your shoulder.

[Bill Davis] "Re-trimming the clips in the precision editor to new lengths seems like all you'd need to do - and magnetism keeps the connected clip relationships intact globally."

This is still more moves than asymmetrical trimming would involve. But let's look at another variation. Your suggestion is absolutely correct when everything was built on the primary storyline with connected clips. However, as we've discussed in various threads, that's not always ideal. For example on a current project, my primary storyline is mainly a gap with a composite VO as a connected clip and then picture edits as a secondary storyline connected at the head. Making rather simple "opening up" changes in 7 becomes a real exercise in editing gymnastics in X with this type of build.

My real concern is not whether it can be done - rather, that quite a few simple functions actually take more steps. In my example above, I feel I approached the edit in the "wrong" tactical manner. This is the only NLE I can think of where you really have to think tactically about how you even start the edit. Should I start by editing to the primary storyline or connect clips to a placeholder gap? Making the wrong choice at the beginning complicates your life later on. That's never been the case with a "standard" track-based NLE. With tracks, you can simply toss it on the timeline and re-arrange as needed. A clip on V1 does not inherently have different properties and behaviors than a clip on V2.

[Bill Davis] "(But maybe that says more about my lack of understanding of your issues than anything else! ; )"

No problem. We're only hashing out ways to try to make this thing work ;-)

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
+1
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter