Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: Thank you Apple - and don't change course. Please

COW Forums : Creative COW Magazine feedback

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bill DavisRe: Thank you Apple - and don't change course. Please
by on May 4, 2012 at 5:15:30 am

[Andrew Richards] "I agree- they seem to be at that momentum tipping point FCP was at around FCP5. I doubt they will unseat Avid as the king of studio features and episodic TV, but it will fill most of the vacuum left by FCP7.

Best,
Andy
"

The monster question in the room is whether those industries will remain what drives success in editing software.

Studio features and episodic TV have traditionally been the top of the heap. But I noted some months back the story of an extremely sharp and camera friendly young intern who works on the local TV show where my wife does a regular segment who literally dismissed an offer to go on salary at the TV station because she just didn't feel TV was the place to be. She wanted a career in web development because she was firmly convinced that's where the eyeballs of her generation were largely going to be served over her lifetime. Broadcast had no "cachet" for her.

That's the elephant in the room. I believe the other A's already see that and are adding to those capabilities fast - but as long as their teams are focused on winning broadcast or TV shop share away from Legacy - and relying on the hope of a halo effect from being the best tool for a 100 editor reality show empire - well, how's that going to influence those "new media" youngsters like her that will grow into the power seats in the next decade or so?

Tactics have to serve strategy after all. And catering to the elephant riders is a risky business plan when large numbers of people are electing to ride smaller and smaller beasts.

Just food for thought.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]