Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: Red Guys hackintoshing an hp

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Tim WilsonRe: Red Guys hackintoshing an hp
by on May 2, 2012 at 11:46:13 pm

[Robert d'Alexis] ""Even if Apple releases another Mac Pro (and I think they will), the HP Z820 is going to be a better beast."

Would you care to amplify that remark, Tim? :-)"

I amplified my thinking about another Mac Pro above -- dang, it WAS this forum right? Not another one?

re: the HP Z820's beastitude, nothing fancy. Again, jumping off from my assumption that Apple will keep the same case....more card slots, more places to put bigger drives, better graphics support (Apple has NEVER been willing to step past second-class citizenry for graphics; I don't see that changing), twice as many RAM slots, etc. etc.

And frankly, a prettier interior. :-)

But seriously, have you checked out the tech specs line by line? From an infrastructure point of view, the Z820 is just badder. Yeah, yeah Thunderbolt. Whatevs. Too many other advantages to let something like that be a hangup. But me being a goofball aside, if that's make or break for you, it is...but is it? Your call.

Aside from the beastitutde, I'm also nuts about HP's next business day service. The fact is that most computers mostly work, but let's say a motherboard blows out -- HP has a replacement on your doorstep NBD, and you can replace it yourself with no tools.

I'll note that my wife just bought a consumer HP laptop in the thin, light ultrabook Air kinda class -- 3yr warranty that covers EVERYTHING, including pouring beer straight on the keyboard or smashing the screen (because you're mad about the beer I guess) with HOUSECALL SERVICE, for $20 less than AppleCare.

Seriously, when I think about stuff like that at both the consumer and workstation level, I can't think of a reason on earth anyone would buy a Mac.

Mac OS, blah blah blah. Whatevs. Robert, you asked me to talk about the relative merits of Apple and HP vis a vis the boxes they build. Other than that previous wiseass sentence, I have no comments on the relative merits of the OS experience.

DEFINITELY no comment on hackintoshing. It's just us, right? Just shooting the breeze.

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
+1
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter