Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: Apple engineers versus an editor's ability to set persistent in to out points in their footage.

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread


Jeremy GarchowRe: Apple engineers versus an editor's ability to set persistent in to out points in their footage.
by on Apr 29, 2012 at 3:47:06 pm

[David Lawrence] "Just out of curiosity, what percentage of your time would you say is exclusively devoted to creative editing?"

Well, if I'm not on a shoot, I'd say 85-90% with the other 10% finishing.

I edit a lot. Why? Because I like FCPX and can relate its methods, I'm not a creative editor?

[David Lawrence] "If as you say, it's obvious that Aindreas hasn't tried it and we need to get used to working differently, why wouldn't that also be true for Larry, since he's arguing strongly with Apple for real in/outs?"

Guys...

You are saying that resting ins and outs isn't possible, or doesn't work the way you expect.

I'm saying it is possible, and works fairly well if you know what you're doing and give it a shot.

It's not perfect, it might not be ideal, but they are there.

I have no idea what Larry Jordan needs or wants. I have no idea how much he edits creatively. He should bang the drum. But despite what he says, persistent ins and outs do exist by setting a favorite. He doesn't mention that so I can't tell if he's used or tried this method. It certainly works different when compared to other NLEs.

[David Lawrence] "Yes, in/outs contain a range, but they're made with a different intention. There's no need to keep them in an ever growing list. It makes the list cumbersome and meaningless. The fix is simple -- just maintain the yellow selection area or add temporary brackets on objects until the editor intentionally decides to change them."

But David? This ever growing list is cancellable by hitting u. That's why I said we need to disassociate keywords from favorites. Favorites, in my use, are much more temporary. Keywords are more permanent, at least that's how I use them.

Again, I'm not saying that favorites are an ideal way to store an in and out, but is a way.

You say it's not possible, I say it is, and it involves a rather different process that, say, how fcp7 does it.

[David Lawrence] "Funny that no matter how experienced the critic -- whether it's Larry Jordan or Oliver Peters -- anyone who points out an obvious missing feature is still holding it wrong. Whatever."

Huh?

I'm not saying anyone is holding it wrong. I'm not saying favorites are the best method. I'm not saying it shouldn't change.

But today, right now, of you want persistent (and truly persistent, not sort of persistent) ins an outs, there is a usable method employed in X. When you say it's not possible, I call that bluff becuase it is possible.

Jeremy


Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook


Current Message Thread:




LOGIN TO REPLY



FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]