Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: Apple engineers versus an editor's ability to set persistent in to out points in their footage.

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeremy GarchowRe: Apple engineers versus an editor's ability to set persistent in to out points in their footage.
by on Apr 28, 2012 at 10:39:52 pm

[David Lawrence] "Only if you hit the F-key. I'm just suggesting that the specified range can be made sticky. It's not the same as saving it."

I see. You're proposing to not mark the range, like a favorite physically marks the range in the thumbnail.

As soon as you touch that clip though, your old range is gone.

[David Lawrence] "It's a different editorial emphasis and intent. If I'm selecting a range, my focus is on the range of content. I may want to stash it and favorites/keywords are a great tool for that.

When I mark in/out, I'm thinking primarily of the cut -- the transition points. I'm thinking cut, play thru, cut, but I really don't care about the stuff in the middle. Yes it is subtle. It took years of practice but when I noticed I was thinking this way, I also noticed my editing had jumped to whole different level, vastly better than before."

I'm sorry, David. I'm totally lost here. I am reading this as it took years of practice you use in and out?

[David Lawrence] "By your reasoning, since Larry hasn't fully embraced your suggested workarounds, it must mean that he hasn't spent time to properly learn the tool and is stuck in old ways of thinking. I don't think you really believe this. Why do you think he finds it SO useful?"

Oh boy. Please stop putting words in my mouth.

The issue here, is that persistent in and out points do exist in FCPX. You guys want some sort of temporary in and out system, analagous to fcp7, but don't tell Andy that as it has nothing to do with EOL software.

I have no idea what Larry Jordan knows or doesn't know. It's all new software, and requires a different way of working sometimes. Maybe he doesnt like favorites, but if one could explain them as persistent in and out points by hitting the f key, maybe he'd have a listen? I would say that retaining in and out points in the Event is entirely possible, it just might not work like you expect it to work.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]