Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: Apple engineers versus an editor's ability to set persistent in to out points in their footage.

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Chris KennyRe: Apple engineers versus an editor's ability to set persistent in to out points in their footage.
by on Apr 28, 2012 at 12:07:39 am

Phillip's technical objections aren't very sensible (I do write code). But I do see the argument he's making. You're not quite setting in/out points in FCP X the way you are in FCP 7. You're selecting a clip range, on which you can then perform various actions. This is the language the documentation uses, it's how things are visually presented, and it's compatible with the 'primary' way in which such ranges are specified -- by dragging. Hell, it's right there in the menus. The menu items for which the 'I' and 'O' keys are shortcuts are not 'Mark In' and 'Mark Out', as in FCP 7. They're 'Set Selection Start' and 'Set Selection End'.

People keep asking why FCP X doesn't preserve in and out points, but the app doesn't acknowledge such a concept in the first place. And if you ask instead why FCP X doesn't preserve selections, well, that's standard behavior -- most apps don't preserve selections when you open/close a document or navigate away from a view and back.

Perhaps there would be less confusion on this point had Apple not kept the 'I' and 'O' keyboard shortcuts. They could have used 'S' and 'E' or something (for 'start' and 'end').

Mind you, the fact that apps don't normally preserve selections doesn't mean Apple couldn't make an exception for FCP X -- it wouldn't really interfere with anything fundamental. But it does explain why Apple didn't think this was necessary. Perhaps if enough people harass them on this subject they'll add it anyway.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]