Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: Ivy Bridge is a go. Officially.

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Walter SoykaRe: Ivy Bridge is a go. Officially.
by on Apr 24, 2012 at 1:41:16 am

[Chris Kenny] "It's an invalid analogy. I'm not arguing demand for CPU performance will hit a wall and nobody will ever want any more. I'm arguing that at some point single CPU systems will serve the Mac Pro's current demographic well enough that for most of us (nearly all of us) dual CPU machines will no longer pass a cost/benefit analysis. (The same way most of us probably wouldn't buy a quad CPU Mac Pro today if Apple had one available at, say, $15K.)"

You're saying there's no need for growth of serious computational power on the Mac platform, because the users don't want it or need it -- which is fundamentally the same small thinking exemplified by what Bill Gates (never) said about memory layout on the PC platform.

You also ignored the second half of my post entirely, where I talked about how Apple's reticence to update their workstations and offer more compelling configurations is scaring away prospective customers for future high-performance Mac Pros.

With Thunderbolt here, anyone who only needed throughput from their workstation can probably be happy with an iMac. If you're a straight-up video editor, you don't need a Mac Pro anymore, full stop. But AE? C4D? Nuke? Maya? These apps all scale with available power, and Apple is practically discouraging their use on the Mac platform.

I'm arguing that there is a market for this power on the desktop, that the absolute number of workstation customers is growing, and that Apple could be in it if they chose to be. Instead, they're creating FUD about themselves and actually inviting their current Mac Pro customers to check out HP's Z-series, the ProMax One, and whatever Dell has coming out next.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. You're explaining Apple's behavior, and why it's best for Apple. I get it, and you're right.

The thing is -- beyond our 401Ks and stock portfolios, nobody here really cares what's best for Apple unless it also coincides with what's best for us.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter