Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: One Year Later, redux: Apple, FCPX and The Perfect Roll-out

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Tim WilsonRe: One Year Later, redux: Apple, FCPX and The Perfect Roll-out
by on Apr 22, 2012 at 7:38:02 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "I can't help but think that a company with Apple's resources could have had it all. "

As long as we assume that their actions reflections reflect their priorities, the rest is easy.

"Having it all" for Apple means, at the very least, BEING APPLE. What is most Apple-like about Apple? A meticulously crafted user experience.

What was FC Studio LEAST like? A meticulously crafted Apple UX.

So what do we see with X? Apple's idea of what it means to be Apple for video. Features will show up or they won't, because features aren't the point.

This was Apple's strategy with iPod and iPhone too, btw. Show up late and underfeatured, and just keep banging on the meticulously-crafted Apple UX until the features mostly show up. But never ALL the features found elsewhere. Never. Just the ones that can be reasonably subsumed into Apple's UX goals.

That was never going to happen with any combination of stuff bought from other people, none of which looked like it was designed by Apple. Solution: start with Apple's idea of something approaching ideally Apple, add features later.

Another way of looking at it. When Apple got in the game, these editing software conventions had been fixed for well over a decade, now, well over 20 yrs. Some conventions came from linear video editing -- fixed for the better part of 30 years when Apple got in. Even more so, the roots of non-linear editing are in film -- well over 100 years.

Frankly, I'm surprised Apple stuck with FCP Legacy as long as they did. Whatever else Apple is, they're not a company whose design priorities are driven by 20, 40 or 100 year old approaches.

If they're not Apple being Apple, they can never have it all. They could never be Apple in this market until they put a shovel in the head of the Borg-zombie that FCP had become. Take care of features later.

Again, I don't think I'm making any great leaps of imagination or analysis here. I'm just looking at what they did, and assume that it reflects their priorities.

Dammit! I was supposed to let everybody else have the last word. NOW I'll shut up for a while.

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy