Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: One year later...

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Craig SeemanRe: One year later...
by on Apr 20, 2012 at 6:56:55 pm

So if Avid discontinued its front end for Isis it would still have the same ROI value to you?
I was a big fan of Unity at one point, trying to push the company I worked for to buy one . . . but there was a lot less competition in that market 10 years ago.

This is the hypothetical:
If I bought a Media Composer in 2000 and Avid abandoned it, I'd still have a perfectly functional Mac, The proprietary cards and the software through were a large part of the cost and value. I certainly would have been able to install FCP but there'd be a lot of lost ROI.

I can add Avid Shuttle hard drive systems into the equation as well. That was just a bit bucket. It was a much more expensive bit bucket though.

My business question is, if Avid abandoned their Unity/Isis integration software etc, would there be loss on ROI. It's still a bit bucket but Avid MC circa 2000 was still a Mac. That wasn't its primary cost or value though.

I'm honestly not sure how closely the feature, benefit, value is tied to anything Avid proprietary involved if such proprietary function were lost. Maybe very little or none . . . but I'm not sure, not having investigated or setup such a system lately. Additionally if Avid doesn't add much proprietary value then why go with that as a business decision. I'm wondering because I do think there are business that use Media Composer and Symphony and aren't purchasing Unity/Isis because they are finding value elsewhere. I think this may be part of Avid's financial problems.

Basically it would seem to me that many people using MC and those now crossgrading to Symphony are choosing other mass storage management solutions. Assuming that's true (yes just an assumption), why aren't they seeing the added benefit in Unity/Isis?

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]