Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: Apple are hilarious

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Walter SoykaRe: Apple are hilarious
by on Apr 20, 2012 at 2:31:46 pm

[Chris Kenny] "I was making a somewhat different point. The specific lesson of these numbers, I think, is "Just because a narrative (about e.g. FCP X's failure) dominates Internet discussion of a subject doesn't necessarily mean that narrative has any relationship to reality"."

Oh, I get it now. I misunderstood your point. My apologies.

I don't disagree with this at all, but I do think that reality is somewhat subjective. I'm a designer and finishing editor, and in my little niche, I have yet to see an FCPX project. All my clients are still mostly FCP7 with a little Avid.

The adoption numbers are totally meaningless to me. I'm not in a position to see FCPX's total market penetration; I can only see FCPX's penetration among my clients and prospects, and there, it's currently zero. When that number ticks up, I'll dust off my copy of FCPX. I rather miss the skimmer.

Until then, FCPX is pretty inconsequential for me. It's just another NLE. From where I sit, FCPX has been a "game-changer" (I just put a virtual dollar in the virtual swear jar) in that it hit the reset button on the NLE market, made all the other developers scramble, and gave the market the opportunity to diversify a bit instead of continuing to consolidate.

[Chris Kenny] "Four years ago, the narrative about iPhone in the enterprise was much like the narrative about using FCP X for high-end work today. It was missing basic enterprise management features! It was a consumer toy! Meanwhile, off in the consumer market, the iPhone was winning over a lot of fans -- people who'd never previously owned a smartphone of any kind. It was also building a massive ecosystem around itself. As Apple began to add enterprise features, a lot of the iPhone's new fans started demanding to use them as work phones -- and a lot of existing enterprise users saw that value in iPhone's ecosystem."

This is an interesting example, but I don't think it's the same as what FCPX is doing. Apple made the iPhone fit into the industry; Apple is asking the industry to fit into FCPX.

The iPhone was adopted in enterprise because Apple added Exchange support. By making the iPhone interoperable with large companies' existing infrastructures, Apple made the iPhone a viable handset choice.

Apple has taken a different tack with FCPX. Rather than supporting existing industry standards, Apple has invented new ones, and are now waiting for the industry to adopt them.

iPhone was workable in the enterprise, by Apple's design, out of the box in iOS 2. FCPX is only workable in the facility to the extent that companies like Autodesk, BMD, Intelligent Assistance, and Marquis Broadcast support it and customers update their own infrastructures.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter