Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: Apple are hilarious

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Chris KennyRe: Apple are hilarious
by on Apr 19, 2012 at 1:48:54 pm

[Jules bowman] "Well, aside from the fact that at the moment it is a buggy bit of software that has dispensed with an 'editing paradigm' used by the majority of the professional industry and it has been superseded by PP because its 10th incarnation needs 'a bit of time' whereas PP just evolves sensibly and that"

FCP X is a ground-up rewrite. It's more sensibly treated as a new app trying to break into the market (with a fair bit of success so far, based on available data) than a "10th incarnation [that] needs 'a bit of time'". The claim that it has been "superseded by PP" does not appear to be remotely true in terms of adoption. As I noted previously, my company has yet to even have someone inquire about bringing us a project edited in Premiere. Neither PP nor FCP X has yet superseded FCP 7.

[Jules bowman] "its adopters are fanboys who will, with all due respect, never make an impact on people's perceptions of the apps 'pro' status when put on the front cover of Apple Monthly no matter whether they make a living from it."

Even assuming FCP X presently isn't seeing any use at the high-end (which doesn't appear to be strictly true -- Leverage, etc.), you seem to be entirely ignoring the fact that change is usually bottom-up in this industry. In other words, mid-range adoption today probably translates into high-end adoption down the road.

[Jules bowman] "FC10 is a flawed buggy non-industry standard, non skill set transferable patchwork of a piece of software that appears to corrupt and destroy work rather capriciously giving its competition, who are already ahead of it, 3 to 5 more years head start to claim FCP7s market share and respect."

Yeah, I'm sure it'll take Apple at least five years to fix a couple of rare bugs with file saving. And we all know that no other NLE has ever had any bugs that could cause people to lose work. I mean, Adobe in particular is well known for making completely bug-free software that nobody ever complains about.

Oh, wait. That's crazy. Many of the early performance/reliability issues with FCP X have already been addressed, there isn't an NLE on the market I'd actually consider rock solid, and people complain constantly about buggy Adobe software -- it's a running joke in the Mac community. Here's a whole blog dedicated to Adobe bugs. You want some data loss? How about Flash deleting files when it encounters a save error. Somehow I don't think Premiere will be magically immune to this sort of thing.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]