Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: Apple are hilarious

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Walter SoykaRe: Apple are hilarious
by on Apr 19, 2012 at 5:26:03 am

Welcome back, Chris!

[Chris Kenny] "The real takeaway from this isn't the specific number, it's the illustration that number provides of how out of touch a lot of the discussions here are. People in these forums are mostly focused on a couple of specific segments of the professional video editing market -- and not even very large segments. There's a much wider world of editing out there, and if history is any guide, what happens in that world is very likely to significantly impact high-end market segments in the long run -- possibly the not-so-long run, given how fast Apple is adding higher-end features."

I don't quite understand what you're getting at here. You're suggesting there are lessons to be learned from the "wider world of editing," right? What are they?

It seems to me that FCPX is continuing a trend that goes back at least to the dawn of the desktop video revolution twenty years ago (and I'd argue even further): more people are getting access to greater quality tools at lower prices. The tools are getting vastly easier to use. Schedules are getting tighter and budgets are getting smaller. The Good Enough Revolution suggests that what we are interested in delivering and what customers are interested in receiving (and willing to pay for) are diverging. Video and IT are converging.

That's all pretty much common knowledge. What are we missing?

I understand that there are many editors that don't care about the features and workflows that we discuss here. Even among us on this forum, we all have very different workflows and concerns. For example, I know that multicam post for broadcast is everything to Herb, but it's not even a speck on my radar. Likewise, I don't think he'd care all that much about design for blended projection systems, but I do it every day. I'd guess that neither Herb nor myself spend much time thinking about feature workflow for RED cameras, but you know it inside and out.

To anyone who would argue that the workflows we're discussing are exceptional -- well, I'd agree. Isn't doing something exceptional critical to building a business or making a career of this?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
+2
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS