Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: The Fog Thickens

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Chris KennyRe: The Fog Thickens
by on Apr 19, 2012 at 2:13:10 am

[Juan Morales] "My prediction: within now and 1 year, Avid will be bought by Grant Petty/Blackmagic...

Anyone thinks the same?!?"

Are we talking about the whole company, or the video division? If the latter, the main thing that makes me question this is whether Blackmagic would want the tech. In terms of internals (rendering engine, video I/O, etc.) they've got a solid foundation already in Resolve, and in terms of user interface Media Composer is a twisty labyrinth that's only comfortably navigable to people who've spent years learning its myriad passages. Buying Media Composer seems like it would mostly be about buying a user base. But the user base in question is slowly shrinking, and the main reason it's not shrinking faster is because of a conservatism that would make it very hard for anyone who bought the product to quickly transition users to a product with more mass market (and -- critically -- new user) appeal.

If we're talking about the whole company, I'd imagine such an acquisition would be more about the audio side of things.

Also, Blackmagic being a privately held company (as far as I can tell) it's hard to see if the financials of such a deal would be at all plausible.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]