Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: Opitical Thunderbolt cables. On a Thinkpad.

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andrew RichardsRe: Opitical Thunderbolt cables. On a Thinkpad.
by on Apr 17, 2012 at 6:44:13 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Who would 4k ProRes be any different from 1080 ProRes? "

It's over 3 times the frame size, for one. Like pretty much any codec, the bitrate on ProRes is relative to the quality (4x4, HQ, etc), the frame size, and the frame rate. The bitrates are not absolute.

[Jeremy Garchow] "LT is 100 Mb/sec, ProRes is 145Mb/sec, HQ is 220Mb/sec and 444 is 330 Mb/sec at the very top level, those are bits, not Bytes. It's a VBR codec so usually the rates are lower than that."

Embarrassing mistake on my part, yes, bits not bytes. But those are the bitrates for 1080 @ 29.97. Everything else being equal, 4K would be more than double the bitrate of 1080 at the same quality level and frame rate. That works out to roughly 500 Mbps or 62.5 MB/sec. So not that bad after all, even for several streams.

I stand by my earlier point though, that Thunderbolt is not a step up for anything that already has PCIe slots. It is a huge step up for machines that never had them. Still, you're not going to be able to hang as much outside a computer with Thunderbolt as you can hang inside a computer with PCIe slots. I'm glad Thunderbolt is opening up so much potential in iMacs and MacBooks, but I would hate for it to be the excuse for killing off Macs with PCIe slots (whatever they be called).

Best,
Andy

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]