Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: Autodesk Smoke is changing. Everything.

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Ben RojasRe: Autodesk Smoke is changing. Everything.
by on Apr 11, 2012 at 10:54:09 pm

well, all my connections are under non-disclosures, but I've pieced together some things that I'll add to the discussion. I've been on Smoke for 12 yrs. with a 2yr hiatus on Avid DS. Smoke is truly an amazing Finishing/Compositing sys. My only complaint, it's always been cumbersome and not very conducive to "rapid fire" creative editorial type editing. It's gotten better through the years; especially audio, but it's never felt right. Not so much the physical cutting, you get used to anything, but media management, bin layout, etc... Everything we're accustomed to in Avid and FCP. I agree w/those w/respect to Edit/Combustion getting killed off because the big bros were taking a hit. I'm sure I wasn't the only Editor/Smoke Artist heading home at night, popping open a laptop and cutting w/Avid Express and Composting w/Combustion. That was truly a WTF moment for me. But I digress, so what in my talks have I pieced together and why. First the why. Our facility, like many out there, is transitioning to another NLE. Our 2 choices, Avid or Adobe. Avid, tried and true. It's like getting back together w/an old girlfriend ;o) Adobe, especially if they hit us w/Speedgrade, is looking damn good. But in the end, we're still finishing in Smoke. I've brought it up time and time again w/resellers, reps and others in the know and just last week I was wink winked that my wish is coming true. Well, that wish was/is a FCP/Avid style UI w/a powerful timeline compositor, which we have now, but the continued options to pop into the DVE, oooops, I mean Action, CC, Keyer, etc. My other hope, and not a wish because the drop to 15K was a wish come true a few years ago, a reduction in price to actually have more than one in the shop. That being said, I'm still in the dark w/oh so many questions and chomping at the bit to see this "game changer". No ones calling it that, but considering how many folks are in the same position as us, if the price is right, Avid & Adobe might be left wondering what just happen here.

Cheers mates, great discussion.
Ben

Ben Rojas
Editor|Artist|Dir. of Post Production
KSC KREATE
3850 N 28th Ter. Ste. 101
Hollywood, FL. 33020
P. 954.326.7600
F. 954.326.7766
C. 305.301.2771
E. ben.rojas@ksckreate.com
http://www.ksckreate.com