Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: FCPX from an Editor who used it on Iditarod 2012 (long again!, sorry!)

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bill DavisRe: FCPX from an Editor who used it on Iditarod 2012 (long again!, sorry!)
by on Mar 29, 2012 at 9:57:56 pm

[Herb Sevush] "On the other hand people praise X for it's speed. I don't see how continuous crashing helps your overall cutting speed, even with lossless reboots, but hey, that's just me."

It's because it's not actually "continuous crashing" at all. It's more like "situational crashing" - in some circumstances where the database processes get confused because they don't have time to do their work before the user moves on - you can get into loops where crashes become more common until the software gets its organization sorted out.

When things are properly stored and rendered and where X expects them to be - I can editing contentedly for DAYS without a hint of a crash - moving between projects and versions with speed.

Then I'll get into something complex, and forget that the engine is chugging away in the background and I'll keep asking it to keep up with more and more commands until it gets angry with me and demands my attention with a "soft crash." (I label it that because 99 times out of 100 on re-boot I end up right where i left off.)

So you can call that "continuous crashing" if you like. But if you use the software as much as I do for daily work - you start to get feel for when to keep pushing and when to back off and let X do it's behind the scenes stuff - and that process alone seems to reduce crashes to a minimum.

Again, it's a different beast than Legacy. And I suspect there's a LOT going on in the code behind the scenes that make it work this way.

FWIW.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]