Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: FCPX from an Editor who used it on Iditarod 2012 (long again!, sorry!)

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Herb SevushRe: FCPX from an Editor who used it on Iditarod 2012 (long again!, sorry!)
by on Mar 29, 2012 at 2:59:13 pm

[Bill Davis] "OK, Herb, but if you're gonna ding the "crazy" bell on me -how do you handle that the original link here was to yet another pro user in the field saying the same thing I've said over and over and over again."

I wasn't really dinging the bell, I was just reacting to the sentence itself, it was like challenging someone to make a funny comment. So to clarify Bill, I don't think your crazy. I do think some of your arguments are lacking in logic, but it's not a personal judgement.

[Bill Davis] "As one small example, people diss X for crashing. Which is fair. It does crash. And if that's all someone has to say, it's fair - but it's also misleading. Cuz, when others note that it largely crashes "losslessly" and an average user seldom gets set back much if any from such a crash - that's useful for someone trying to decide whether to use it."

On the other hand people praise X for it's speed. I don't see how continuous crashing helps your overall cutting speed, even with lossless reboots, but hey, that's just me.

[Bill Davis] "I can edit faster with X than I could with Legacy - and now I understand that with every project I successfully create and archive, I am building a global database for each client that I can use in the future that will potentially improve my efficiency further. I just got an order for new commercials for a west coast client just yesterday, and was able to save hours if not days by instantly calling up the relevant selects via keywords off the old project. I went from idea to rough cut in 30 minutes , rather than a full day of dis-archiving their project from a year ago and re-capturing the digital tapes which would have been the process a year ago."

I like the database of keywords, that works for me, it sounds very convenient to have it inside the ap. See, I can admit that their are some excellent ideas within X. But for the rest, the dis-archiving and re-capturing has nothing specifically to do with X, your talking about tapeless workflows and archiving, and while X is an improvement over Legacy there, many other NLE's -- PPro, Edius -- had X beat to market with that workflow by about a year.

[Bill Davis] "That's what X has the potential to do. Uniquely in my estimation. It's built for persistent on-line asset storage and retrieval."

What is unique about X as far as asset storage and retrieval goes? Persistent on-line storage is dependent on the size of you asset library. I shoot 15 Terrabytes of new material each spring. If I needed persistent storage I would have to buy a new 16TB raid every year. With that financial commitment even Legacy could have "persistent on-line asset storage and retrieval." I don't see how X makes the storage and retrieval process go any faster or cheaper - this is a real question - can you explain what you mean here?

[Bill Davis] "I've already used features like the Share capabilities to turn client approval dubs into something that take literally seconds to generate and email, rather than the hours it took to burn DVDs and FedEx them off in the past."

One click export is nice, but it's not that much faster than the 5 clicks I need to export a file with Legacy. I still have to send some of my clients DVDs, their choice not mine. I think the ability to remotely screen and work with collaborators using Ichat and Skype is a much bigger deal.

[Bill Davis] "The "timeline operations" module in the middle of FCP-X is all that most traditional "editors" are stuck arguing about. (Analogy alert: look away so as not to burn your brain!) To me that's like arguing exclusively about the engines at a car show. Should it be part of the discussion? Absolutely. But it's not the only discussion worth having. And the engine doesn't adequately describe the entire car experience, does it?"

But if the engine won't get you up the mountain it's a waste of time talking about the great navigation features and the lumbar support. It's not the only thing, but it's a deal breaker.

[Bill Davis] "That's the kind of stuff that those of us who are using it are seeing as transformative. Not whether the timeline is magnetic or not. That turned out to be almost totally trivial in hindsight."

If it's so trivial and yet so polarizing, you'd think they would address it.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter