Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: Photoshop CS6 Beta released, with magnetic timeline!

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bill DavisRe: Photoshop CS6 Beta released, with magnetic timeline!
by on Mar 24, 2012 at 6:04:25 am

[David Lawrence] "There are thousands of reasons why an editor might want to export a range as new asset. That's all we're talking about. Save a new piece of media. The idea that it's "removed from further revision and refinement" is a completely meaningless statement."

To your first line, yes there are. And you can do that within X. The process is different, but every bit as easy. Remember, it's all metadata. So duping a Project is just copying metadata code. No media or anything large and unwieldy. So what's the problem?

I don't imagine you have a problem copying a resume or script to make revisions. So why the reluctance to copy the pointers represented by a project?

[David Lawrence] "Bill, with all due respect, you're way over thinking this. Range export is a very very simple production need. It has nothing to with delivery or distribution."

Maybe. But maybe not.

If you can't see how you can do the same thing in a new way that's actually no more complex than the old way - then there's probably little I can do to convince you.

But remember this when you see a menu without "save as" and similarly can't understand why not cutting a document off from it's revision stream in a world moving toward cloud based storage might be a change in thinking worth considering.

Versioning in document creation is real and is being coded into al sorts of modern software. And it requires us to adjust our thinking.

Perhaps you'll never want those particular benefits. But I can see the usefulness. So I want it.

And if the trivial process of learning to "duplicate" rather than "save as" is the price in document management, I'm fine with it.

Similarly if Duplicate Project gets me the same result as "range export" and keeps, as a simple example, my access to change and undo available in both versions - (impossible in Legacy's export) then that's something I might find useful even if you don't.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]