Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: What if there actually IS a new Mac Pro?

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Craig SeemanRe: What if there actually IS a new Mac Pro?
by on Mar 15, 2012 at 6:37:04 pm

[Andrew Richards] "My guess is in keeping with the sloppy launch of FCPX, that card was omitted from whatever plist tells the App Store what is and isn't supported hardware."

But the card worked. That's my point. It meant a machine was viable for a little while longer even though, while not optimal, was certainly serviceable for those who wanted to try FCPX without making a hardware commitment. Apple is trying to steer one into a purchase, ultimately, even if that purchase is a good idea, it may be forced prematurely for the end user.

[Andrew Richards] "You can install FCP7 on a G5 if you modify the scripts in the install pkg."

There are some developers who take a different course. They'll say that feature "x" wont work with such hardware but the rest will function.

Sure it's Apple's choice in how to handle it but my point is that it's Apple's choice to lock out otherwise servicable hardware.

I believe that Apple will be much quicker to "pull that trigger" (set a higher threshold) as to what is or is not "a good user experience" and lock out system earlier than they've been doing with certain systems.

I also would not be surprised that the simple "replace my GPU with an unsupported GPU in my 2008 MacPro" option I took will be much harder to execute as time goes on with Apple's hardware.

Once can certainly argue that the changes Apple made was a design improvement in recent iMacs and system drives as well as the changes in user access to batteries in laptops, and that may be true, but the end result may well be shorter usable lifespans or greater expense to upgrade the internals vs buying a new system.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]