Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: What if there actually IS a new Mac Pro?

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Walter SoykaRe: What if there actually IS a new Mac Pro?
by on Mar 15, 2012 at 2:44:57 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "If I switch to windows and HP or Dell or Boxx, should my confidence automatically be recharged for the foreseeable editing future? If so, how?"

That's a two-part question. There's a hardware and a software component. If you really believe in the future of FCPX, then no, switching platforms should not recharge your confidence.

If hardware is the main thing shaking your confidence, and if you are comfortable with the alternatives from Adobe and Avid (and maybe GVG or EditShare), then in my opinion, yes, your confidence could be recharged on another platform.

Windows and PCs exist in a functioning free market that has no parallel with Apple. When you look outside the Apple ecosystem, if there is a need, someone will fill it in exchange for money.

If HP, the workstation market leader, pulled an FCP7 and dropped the workstation market tomorrow, it would create a $3 billion gap [link] in the market. Someone would step up to fill it. More likely, several someones would compete to fill it. As long as someone needs performance computing, there will be a vendor to offer it.

Apple behaves capriciously, and as long as you stay on the Mac platform, you are tied to the decision-making of a single vendor. Voting with your wallet doesn't work, because within the Mac platform, you have no alternatives to Apple. Moving to another platform with multiple competing and specializing vendors gives you a far better shot at getting the product you need.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter