Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: What if there actually IS a new Mac Pro?

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Craig SeemanRe: What if there actually IS a new Mac Pro?
by on Mar 13, 2012 at 9:03:57 pm

[Walter Soyka] "[Craig Seeman] "I think Apple's new business model is not about limited power but limited expandability of hardware, building in planed obsolescence."

That's antithetical to the design principles of a workstation, no?"

To a "traditional" workstation. This is Apple we're talking about.

[Walter Soyka] "You think Apple is intentionally pushing people onto new hardware, rather than optimizing the software for current hardware or rather than trying to limit their Q&A testing matrix?

If that's true, why would you buy from a vendor who intentionally limits their offerings to try to compel you to buy more?"

I didn't say everyone would like it. I'm just looking at Apple's business model and thinking where they'd go with it. It really comes down to the "value proposition" they offer. Is there a competing Thunderbolt equipped workstation if you find value in Thunderbolt? If (and a BIG IF for some) FCPX and its ecosystem becomes compelling, is there another workstation replacement option?

What business/profit motive would Apple have in continuing to make a Xeon class machine? It's only worthwhile if they can increase revenue. Either they move more units or create a "compelling" situation for more frequent replacement.

Do you see another business model viable to Apple? Do they have a business motive to produce basically the same box with the addition of a couple of Thunderbolt ports? I don't mean this rhetorically, please do explain.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]