Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: Why Apple should let HP build its workstations

COW Forums : Creative COW Magazine feedback

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Ronald LindeboomRe: Why Apple should let HP build its workstations
by on Mar 8, 2012 at 8:21:07 pm

[Andrew Richards] "Yes, IF they drop the Mac Pro. They haven't played their hand yet, or folded for that matter."

I really don't expect much out of Apple even if they do release a new workstation.

For many years now their support for OpenGL and other critical technologies not developed at Apple, has been abysmal. Bad. Junk. Crap. Downright the worst out there. Oh, period. ;o)

No, a new workstation from Apple will not surprise me. But a GOOD new workstation with real expandability supporting current industry leading technologies -- now, THAT that would greatly surprise me.

Someone wrote me today and asked if I really believed that Apple would license OSX to HP. I said, "No. I don't buy that at all -- still I can dream." But what I do believe is that Apple is so strong now that they can afford to let others shore up ancillary niches not supported by their own direct efforts.

This is NOT foreign to Apple's Corporate Ethos, as some believe. It was but not today.

It is the VERY ESSENCE of their huge success in the iTunes Store. They make money on Other People's Work. Those songs and TV shows over there at Itunes are not made by Apple. They belong to someone else.

If you look at the Apps phenomenon, at its base is a huge aggregate of developers who make tools and products that Apple sells. Apple does not make it. If Apple had waited to get a whole bunch of things ready themselves, the revolution would have never happened. 5 or 10 tools wouldn't have done it. But 100s of 1000s and millions will get the job done.

Apple used to build their own machines. Now others do it. Some, direct competitors like Samsung who builds the iPad and yet competes against the Apple iPad with their Android-based Genesis, etc., etc.

I could go on and on with more examples of Apple being more open than many believe but this is already too long.

Apple's new business model is one of far more inclusion than many have noticed. It is social media in business, practiced by people who get that 20th Century business principles will not work in today's global market with interconnected peer-to-peer communities through sites and services like Facebook, Twitter, the COW and others.

I have used Apples since about 1982. I have bought plenty and all the iDevices to boot. Bought them for my employees and have them richly saturated throughout our team. I don't want to move but the day that Apple tells me that they have no interest in my business is the day I will move the company. Not overnight but I will have to move it.

I wonder why a company that works with direct competitors on its Crown Jewels would balk at doing so on products their users need but they do not want to build.

Lastly, in the race to supplant Beta as the standard, VHS won because its creator (Toshiba as I recall, look it up) let others market against them as long as there was the one contracted part which Toshiba alone supplied. Using the same principle, I could see a machine built by HP that served our needs and yet had a card or module that no one else built except Apple. Without it, the machine couldn't run OSX.

It wouldn't be hard to do and Apple is already doing it with the iPad and the iPhone. They are even in court fighting their very own supplier, Samsung, so it's not even like it's a marriage made in heaven. But I could easily see where Apple would keep many more of us years longer by letting HP build the machines we need.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine
A 2011 FOLIO: 40 honoree as one of the 40 most influential publishers in America
http://www.creativecow.net

Creativity is a process wherein the student and the teacher are located in the same individual.

"Incompetence has never prevented me from plunging in with enthusiasm."
- Woody Allen

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those that matter, don't mind -- and those that mind, don't matter." - Dr. Seuss

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
+1
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]