Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: Why Apple should let HP build its workstations

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Tim WilsonRe: Why Apple should let HP build its workstations
by on Mar 8, 2012 at 3:00:20 pm

[Ronald Lindeboom] "With a deal in hand to be licensed to run OSX on its workstations, I think HP could have its arm twisted to change its position on Thunderbolt."

I doubt it....but it wouldn't matter. You can buy a Thunderbolt adapter for $150 today.

Yeah, yeah, I get the convenience of having it on the motherboard. , I also get why people are loathe to think about expanding their Macs -- it's a pain, and there's so little room to grow that it would be silly to think about wasting one of those opportunities on low-grade I/O.

The Z workstations, though, have a ton of expansion options, and it's all done without. No tools - not for swapping out motherboards, power supplies, RAM or anything else, including opening the box. Sure as sh^t not for something as simple as adding Thunderbolt.

Andrew Richards: Tablet OS on the desktop? Blech!

Tell that to iOS, my friend. LOL (Yes, literally, actually laughing out loud.)

The point isn't a tablet OS on the desktop for either company. The point is to have one iOS everywhere. Or, perhaps more accurately, getting rid of the current notion of an OS altogether.

FWIW, I think the "who developed it first" notion is nonsense. Computer stuff is like beer, bread, and color TV -- different variations of it sprung up at more or less the same time around the world, because the same dynamics were feeding it.

But you can find examples of Microsoft showing touch interfaces before the turn of the century. I have no doubt that Apple was working on it. On a trip to Japan in 1992, I met a guy at Hitachi who was working on gestural interfaces.

Feel free to barf on the idea of squishy interfaces, but no company has a monopoly on them, and no computationally inclined dude will be able to avoid them for more than a few more months -- a year, tops.

Unless you're one of those crazy-ass luddites who doesn't upgrade anything until there's a clearly demonstrable NEED to. But what fun is that? Where would the COW be if everyone was prudent?

Mac OS on HP is never going to happen of course, for reasons almost too numerous to name....but it would also be no fun to limit our speculation to things that might conceivably happen, and what fun is THAT? Where would this forum be if everyone was reasonable?

LOL-ing again.

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy