Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: One Single Change

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeremy GarchowRe: One Single Change
by on Feb 25, 2012 at 5:08:07 am

[Jim Giberti] "My single change:
One button - Magnetism Off/Track Grid On."

[Jim Giberti] "The best creative environment will always offer more, not less, options."

Thanks for the write up, Jim.

I'd like to offer my point of view, if I may. I think it is relevant to this thread.

I'm sure it won't come as a shock at this point, but I'm not entirely sure if tracks are needed.

But you are right, options are needed, and I would like more of them, too.

I think the magnetic timeline, or just the FCPX editing system in general is not complete. It is young, it is not mature. The overall app speed of 10.0.3 has actually gone downhill for me. Processes are much more clunky and I get more beachballs (although, fewer actual crashes).

We need more options in Roles, we need more options in the timeline to leave things where they are (without necessarily implementing a "grid mode"). We need to be able to optionally edit multichannel audio without a compound clip dance, we need the option to be able to use the timeline index to manipulate a mass of sorted clips, we need an optional clip targeting system, we need optional timeline organization (if Roles are supposed to replace tracks, then let us drag a Role in the stacking order we want so the Role that we choose is always on top, for instance). We need options to be able to change the physical size of individual clips, we need the option to break clips apart, but not necessarily attach to the primary, rather to the parent video clip.

FCPX needs more power.

I feel like in this current state, the magnetic timeline, or the FCPX modus operandi/pair of dimes, isn't fully functional and for that, it is limiting at certain required tasks. I think Apple needs to carry through with their plan. They need to really push this thing out of the nest and take a chance at flight. Give us back the timeline power. With that power, we will have options. I really appreciate the use of text data to control, sort, and manipulate timeline data. I think that this method can be a truly powerful (and dare I say, better) way to work, eventually. The problem is that the power isn't there, therefore the options aren't there. I think the easiest thing to want to do is fall back on a familiar pattern, and that would be tracks. We all know how they work and what needs to happen, but are they better? Right now they are in some cases, but does that mean they always will be?

I'm not sure that tracks are necessarily the answer. First of all, it would damn near impossible to simultaneously program the trackless timeline and a track based timeline, or at least I'm not sure if it would be worth the engineering effort. I would say they should pick one, and then make it the best it can be. I would really like to see a magnetic timeline that was fully functional, as it seems rather obvious to me that this method is incomplete, which doesn't necessarily mean it's illconceived.

Thanks for writing, Jim.

Jeremy

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]