Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: Is the name clouding our judgement?

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bill DavisRe: Is the name clouding our judgement?
by on Feb 12, 2012 at 11:40:35 pm

[Michael Aranyshev] "The timecode, reel, scene, take, white balance, ISO, F-stop and lens stored in the file is metadata. When software allows me to see and manipulate this metadata but doesn't allow to pass the changes to other software the changes it made is not metadata anymore."

Fine.

But when you have the ability to apply a tag like "Favorite" or Rejected" - or better yet, "Part of Series A" or "old product label" or ""needs color grade" at the clip level, that's every bit as valuable as "metadata" as the reel number or ISO setting. Perhaps more so.

That's the whole point. The nature of metadata has opened up. It's no longer just what the camera manufacturer reports, it's ANYTHING you want to attach to the clip. And extending that to areas such as audio tweaks, color grades, and titling info opens up HUGE new vistas in organization, clip access and workflow.

I know a company who works training dogs for all sorts of purposes including police work and guide dog stuff. They are gleeful about X since they can instantly search and pull up behavior characteristic examples "by breed" in seconds.

The clips are the clips. The metadata is what you make it.

That's a HUGE change in thinking that only starts when you ask yourself "what can metadata do for me beyond what the camera manufacturer could see."

Your very language choice above "this metadata" tells me you're focused on metadata as what you've traditionally been supplied with by others upstream of your edit process.. I'm saying that built into X is a new orientation that encourages creating and sharing useful metadata in new ways by allowing the editor to easily make non-destructive decisions and judgements that append to your clips, then flow to others in a more customizable and useful form than was easy to do before.

That's a huge, important change, IMO.

FWIW.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]