Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: FCP X internationally

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Neil PatienceRe: FCP X internationally
by on Feb 5, 2012 at 8:02:30 pm

I have been a freelance editor in London UK for getting on for 20 years.
The majority of my work is for broadcast. I either work for the broadcasters directly such as ITV and BBC, other large media companies such as IMG or post facilities in and around London providing programming for broadcast in the UK and to some extent in the US. (Discovery, History, Nat Geo channels)
Probably 75% of my work is finishing the rest is offline. Usually the areas I work in are things like game shows and light entertainment which tend to be multi-cam studio shoots, comedy shows, documentaries and fast turnaround sports highlights.
So in my specific area Avid is by far the most used NLE with FCP probably being about a 30% share (at a guess).
ITV is all Avid for programme making. BBC TV Centre is/was Avid and FCP7 except Sport which was all Avid - not sure whats happening in Salford.
Adobe is currently not really visible. FCPX, so far, has been roundly ignored so it will be interesting and easy to see if that changes.
As others have mentioned at the moment companies seem to be broadly sticking with what they have. I know 2 examples of fairly large successful facilities who were mainly FCP7 at the outset adding Avid facilities and now offer both. (Air Post and Timeline TV) I have not seen anyone switch totally from Apple to Avid.
While FCP7 may not have dominated the broadcast market it certainly made huge gains in other areas. Whenever I have worked for smaller indie companies more often than not FCP7 is the tool of choice.
These are probably the areas that Adobe and FCPX will initially make gains. If there is enough of a groundswell towards Adobe and/or FCPX here then the bigger facilities will be forced to support it I would imagine.
I tend to use FCP7 for my own work but since MC6 now works with my Kona card that may change.
I personally cant get on with FCPX, it has some great features but the overall GUI, paradigm, concept and timeline don't work for me. But that’s just me.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]