Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: Todays FCP X announcement

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Carl EdwardsRe: Todays FCP X announcement
by on Feb 1, 2012 at 7:33:51 pm

[Andy Neil] "I don't understand. FCPX can export XML. Its a new flavor of XML so it may not be compatible with whatever you do VFX on, though that may change since Resolve already supports it. Also, FCPX renders in 32-bit float, what are your 8-bit concerns regarding a QT export? ProRes? HQ is a 16-bit codec I believe, but quality will only be as good as the original footage."

It is in fact a new flavor of XML that very little supports, so yeah, that would be part of the problem.

But I get the feeling you didn't read too closely. We export out DPX and OPENEXR, neither of which FCP supports so we do this out of one of our smokes or flames. There was great integration between the two with FCPs old XML format turning into a near universal format that we could pass around. But apple chucked all this integration for no reason when they up-versioned.

So I don't have QT export concerns, but even if I did HQ is certainly not a 16-bit format. The only decent quality you can get out of FCP is 4444 at 12bit, the rest is chopped off at 8bit. 4444 would be ok except only Macs can read it, which doesn't help us that much.

On top of all this we still get people sending us tapes all the time and expecting us to be able to read them.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]