Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: Pretty amazing Thunderbolt demo.

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Walter SoykaRe: Pretty amazing Thunderbolt demo.
by on Jan 23, 2012 at 10:47:09 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Dropping a $2500 base system to $2000 is not half the price. I think a bit of nip tuck and case redesign can do it."

You specified a Xeon 6-core. Today's 6-core Mac starts at $3700.

[Walter Soyka] "You've eliminated a lot of the features (massive memory capacity"

[Craig Seeman] "I didn't mention that at all. That wouldn't change."

You need a pretty large motherboard (and ergo a large case) to fit two CPU sockets, 12 or more RAM slots, and cooling.

Dual-Xeon workstations are big because they have to be, and expensive because the parts don't come cheap. They are not expensive because they're big, or big because of poor industrial design.

Seriously shrinking a dual-Xeon workstation would require either new, custom-built parts from Intel (like the itty bitty processors in the original Air) or a Reality Distortion Field generator inside the case.

Making it cheaper would require a massive pricing concession from Intel.

This notion that Apple can violate the laws of physics and economics by releasing a serious SFF dual-Xeon workstation starting at $2,000 is quite a leap from the state of the art today, but I can't keep arguing this with you. You've worn me down. Undoubtedly, we will have smaller, more powerful computers in the future, but there are real physical and economic reasons encouraging the continued development of the tower form factor.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter