Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: Pretty amazing Thunderbolt demo.

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Frank GothmannRe: Pretty amazing Thunderbolt demo.
by on Jan 22, 2012 at 5:21:17 pm

[kim krause] "glad you think so! read jeremy's thread below here...he's saying the same thing and shane is just arguing with him. i'm not implying today or even next month but if you can make a macbook air run this stuff with a thunderbolt breakout box then i see no reason why a mini can't replace in the near future. i have replaced a 2 year old macbook pro with a macbook air and haven't noticed any decrease in performance. who's to say that a super hot mini isn't in the works? you gonna have egg on your face if i'm right."

No, they are not saying the same thing at all. Jeremy Garchow says that for his specific needs in the field an Air with TB might be a great solution and he argues that it canl be an alternative to the Mac Pro for some but certainly not for all.
I could write up several workflows that are tried and functional on a MacPro but will turn your life into a place of hurt on an Air or Mini.
First of all, the setup shown in the demo doesn't even run on OSX at all and given the nature of the Red card it is unlikely will in the near future unless Apple makes some majore changes to the OS.
You are also making the usual mistake of comparing the previous generation of processors (or even the one before) with the current cpus found in the Mini or Laptops. A Sandy Bridge Xeon will run circles around an i7, especially if it is a dual cpu machine - in terms of raw cpu performance, system architecture and bandwith etc.
Xeons will never fit in a Mini or iMac because of the cooling requirements, let alone a dual cpu setup. The demo doesn't really tax cpu at all, all the work is done by the Red card and the raid. Without the Red card, as seen in the dome, it's a show stopper.

Also, formats, codecs and workflows are not written in stone. New stuff will pop up, larger file and frame sizes, more bandwith intensive etc. Once a powerful tower is gone it is likely gone for good and you are stuck with a lightweight laptop that might suffice for your work requirements today but might bog down with whatever comes around the corner tomorrow.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
+2
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]