Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: Pretty amazing Thunderbolt demo.

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Frank GothmannRe: Pretty amazing Thunderbolt demo.
by on Jan 20, 2012 at 12:12:51 pm

I agree that it's an impressive demo. And I agree that it's great for anybody who needs fast io on the road with mobile devices. Never disputed that.

All I am saying is that there's a lot more to the whole story than the one-example-fits-all approach.

There's the driver issue, energy is a problem since most GPUs draw much more power than the external box can provide.

PCIe 3.0, on a dual cpu tower, will pack 80 lanes vs TB's 4x so even a future revision of TB will have to go a long way to match that. Power is not an issue and Sandy Bridge Xeons will outperform regular i7s.

And PCIe 4.0 is in development, as is external PCIe.
So.. why limit the possibilities, why build even more walls? My clients don't walk in with TB or FW800 drives. Most come with USB 2.0, some USB 3.0 or eSata. I doubt this will change anytime soon.Wouldn't it be convenient to have these built in, no adapters, especially since it's only politics why Apple chooses not too, no technical reason whatsoever.

Do I need that kind of performance provided by PCIe 3.0? Maybe, maybe not, but it's there, today, so why should I settle for less if the mobility advantage of TB has zero value for me as I simply don't work on the road and the cost of deploying TB is more expensive, less compatible and has limited cross platform capabilities.
It has zero advantage for me so I refuse to cheer at the prospect of this being the only choice for high bandwidth io in Apple's future. I'll happily cheer at the prospect of it being an addition, not a replacement.

Yes, Apple probably won't have to build MacPros anymore to further their business. To me, that's bad.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]