Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: Interesting article on using FCPX for Broadcast

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Walter SoykaRe: Interesting article on using FCPX for Broadcast
by on Jan 6, 2012 at 2:13:28 pm

I liked this line:
I understand exactly what is needed from potential software and am fully capable of deciding for our company and clients if something will work for our/their needs or not.
Of course I have my own opinions, but just because I don't think something would work for me doesn't mean I think it wouldn't work for others with different needs. Good for Dustin Hoye for finding something that works well for him.

I struggled a bit with the this line:
From our network, viewers, executive producers and clients- our shows continue to get better each season. We are currently editing this season, season 8, in FCPX and so far, everyone believes that the shows have never looked or sounded better. This doesn't mean you can't achieve the same level of quality with FCP 7, but it does mean you can achieve the same or better quality of project with FCP X.
I can't tell if he's crediting the software for the improvement or not, and I can't figure out whether he believes FCPX enables "better quality" work than FCP7 or not.

There's a lot of misinformation about color in that article. Simply selecting a Rec. 709 profile for your monitor will not make it accurate. Accurate color via ColorSync absolutely requires an accurately profiled monitor. It is not optional. Anything else may be a close approximation at best or a haphazard guess at worst -- and without measurement tools, you'd have no way of knowing which one you're getting.

Also, feeding "blue-only" monochrome color bars via RGB to a monitor that has no proper controls anyway will neither help you guarantee accurate color nor even roughly line the monitor up. See J.P. Owen's outstanding post on blue-only as a monitor function for use with encoded color bars [link] for more.

There is simply no substitute for profiling a monitor when working in a color-managed system.

I'm curious about the 1080i output the author mentions -- does it actually work? Can you use this to evaluate footage for field reversal?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter