Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: Bunim/Murray chooses Avid

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Chris HarlanRe: Bunim/Murray chooses Avid
by on Jan 5, 2012 at 7:56:04 pm

[John Moffat] "I think FCPX is more of a threat because the skill base to use FCPX and get professional results is a lot lower than any other editor IMO. The automated way it manages media in the background and the trackless timeline requires less of a learning curve"

Dude, operating NLE's isn't brain surgery. Its like typing/word processing. If you are trying to be a professional, working full time, and you can't get over the minor inconvenience of learning some concepts and keystrokes that are less complicated than driving a car and learning traffic laws, then it really doesn't matter, because you won't be able to survive in the business environment anyway. These automations are for casual users who would never have any need of a post house.

[John Moffat] "The way FCPX controls how you edit, hides advance features, standardises timeline aspect ratios might annoy professional full time editors but this also reduces the chance to screw the edit up. If you are an up and coming assistant producer doing a rough cut isn't this the ideal NLE for you?"

No. Because there is no way to transfer it out of its closed environment. Again, if you can't learn to use the handful of keystrokes or mouse movements required to do a rough cut on any of the other systems, my guess is that you are useless in the post world, anyway.

[John Moffat] " Let's not forget how cheap it is as well. "

So what?! There is a point where that doesn't matter anymore, and FCX is well past it. The difference between a 10,000 dollar system and a 30-75000 is significant. The difference between three or four hundred dollars and Fifteen hundred dollars is nearly meaningless when you set it next to the cost of the equipment and other essentials for operating a business.

[John Moffat] "Maybe I'm wrong but I can see FCPX being used in-house on producers laptops in a way Avid and Premiere can't be. "

How? What can FCX do on a laptop that I haven't been able to do for the last five years with FCP, Premiere, and a little more recently, Avid. As soon as I post this, I'm going back to doing what I've been doing all morning, which is making sellects reels from 1080i source material on my Macbook Pro.

[John Moffat] "There will be more in-house time and less at the post houses. Many shows require high-end finishing only a post house can offer. Many do not. It's not an all or nothing equation but it is clear the balance is changing and FCPX could be an important part of the change... when it stable... less buggy... and has better xml inter-change..."

This has been happening for more than a decade, ever since the first "broadcast quality" i/o cards appeared in the second half of the '90s. The erosive damage to post houses began to occur many years before FCX. In that regard, FCX is very late to the revolution.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
+1
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]