Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: FCPX Trumps Avid

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Marvin HoldmanRe: FCPX Trumps Avid
by on Dec 16, 2011 at 9:22:59 pm

Hi Jason,

Thanks for sharing. I took a moment and peeked at your website. Nice work. It's good to see that you have 10 years experience doing this type of work. With that sort of experience, I expect you want to continue to work. This is why it puzzles me that you are so proud of the fact that you are on the front lines of our industries seeming "race to the bottom" rate wise. The fact that you have apparently undercut a contemporary, who seems to have a lot more of an investment in money and (perhaps) time in what is still an industry standard NLE makes me wonder if you've thought out the broader implications of what this might mean for someone in your position.

With 10 years into this game, I expect you anticipate continuing growth of your business. While many might say lowering your investment overhead will make you inherently more competitive price wise, it also broadens the opportunity for those who will undercut your prices as well. While you may have gotten the gig this time, next time your new client is just as apt to contract out their high school cousin who just got FCPX. Yes, I know your experience is what separates you from others with whom you might compete, but you will still have to deal with a much larger pack of lesser skilled competition.

When DV came along, I still shot BetaSP for many years before transitioning to it. All that time, I had to compete against a growing pack of idiots who could afford the first generation of DV camera's and sold many of my clients on it being "just as good" and "broadcast" at a fraction of the industry rate. All of those clients eventually came back when they realized it takes more than a camera to craft video. There were many gleeful shooters who I thought very poorly of, though I never said as much to them or my wayward clients. When asked, I would only say, "Good luck with that, I'm here if you need me" and more times than not, they did end up needing me.

My point is, it is great, appropriate and appreciated that you share your experience in the a forum such as this, but it is a bit of an overstatement to say "FCPX Trumps Avid". It's like saying "Nails Trumps Screws". They both have their appropriate uses. I would like to believe you are merely excited by the fact that you have gotten a job using FCPX. Nothing wrong with that, but it's only an example of an appropriate usage of this application. One that I am sincerely thankful that you have shared.

"FCPX Trumps Avid"? Um, not quite yet. Maybe in a few years.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread: