Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: A Nice Plus

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jim GibertiRe: A Nice Plus
by on Dec 6, 2011 at 5:02:25 am

[Walter Soyka] "What would you do when the mix is right on the reference speakers, but wrong on the cheap ones?
"

We'd do different mixes for the given media. For instance for a piece of music that's going direct to radio you know that they're going to have lock box limiting at the stations, so you don't master with the same dynamic range that you will for the same piece going to CD.

You want to get the hottest level that reflects your musical intent rather than let the stations squash it and hear it literally pump and breath. I remember when I sold my first piece of original music, the engineer that mixed/mastered it was the same studio owner that had produced my first album demos. I ended up hiring him as my first engineer.

When we'd get close to a mix that we liked on a commercial cut, he'd burn a test cassette, we'd go out to his Volvo and take a drive, with the windows down "you have to assume that they're listening in the summer and it's 90 out" kind of thing and listen at different levels and conditions.

Engineers are anal. The best ones.
We'd take notes and then go back to the studio and make tweaks to the mix.

I'm a firm believer in the "no one views or hears anything in the ideal, professional environment in which it was produced" kind of nihilist producer. In my personal studio I have a 27" Apple, 42" HDMI, JVC CRT and a $400 Sony desk top monitors, NS10's, JBL Studio 12's, Auratones, a Sony 5.1 surround system, expensive and cheap headphones...and a Volvo parked behind my chair.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]