Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: A Nice Plus

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Shane RossRe: A Nice Plus
by on Dec 5, 2011 at 11:57:50 pm

[Jim Giberti] "No offense Shane but can I assume that you have no experience with FCP X except on the forum?"

Oh, none taken! No, I do have experience with it. I downloaded the demo, and tried for 3 days to cut a show promo. But gave up due to the sheer stupidity of how it worked. I didn't understand how it did things. Nothing made sense. The skimmer annoyed me, single viewer annoyed me, not saving my IN and OUT points, not being able to SEE my source footage properly. And most off, the lack of tracks. Sorry, I'm a track based editor and will be for as long as NLEs support it. It makes sense. Apple changed something that didn't need changing.

ANYWAY...that's besides the point. I did use it. I hated it. And I never ever in all my 15+ years of editing judged the quality of my footage from what I saw in the Viewer/Canvas/Preview/Program monitors. Not one NLE I use shows an accurate image. It isn't designed to. It is designed to allow me to see what I am cutting. And resolution lowers so that I get smoother playback. If I wanted to see how things really looked, I needed the external monitor.

But I do see the total need to have what you see in the NLE match your QT exports. Because QT exports aren't broadcast quality...they are web and computer based, so completely different. I get that. I just don't get using the image you see on the computer display (and the FCX interface) as a guide to what your image will look on TV. Because computer displays and TVs have different color spaces.

[Jim Giberti] "As I said in my original post, what I see in my studio, in my viewer, is what I see on broadcast monitors,"

How do you know? Because FCX doesn't allow for external broadcast monitoring. So how do you know what you see in FCX is what you see on your broadcast monitor? If it does match...that's cool! Neat trick. I guess I need to know how you are comparing the shots in order for my head to wrap around it.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]