Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: Working Over the weekend... NOW: Back to Mac Pro speculation

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Walter SoykaRe: Working Over the weekend... NOW: Back to Mac Pro speculation
by on Dec 2, 2011 at 7:00:38 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "And what does that PC upgrade require? I'm not quite sure, I'm sure you know better, but with a MacPro, it's buying a whole new box. With a PC it might be a proc change or a motherboard change, or both, but you don't have to buy a whole new box."

I'm not talking about PC upgrades. I'm geeky, but I never got my soldering merit badge. I wouldn't even consider upgrading a processor myself. I'd buy a new box irrespective of platform.

I'm talking about PC manufacturers continually making small refreshes. Speed bump? Make the new processors an option. USB3? Update the motherboard if necessary, or use one of those extra PCIe slots to provide the connectivity.

If I buy a PC today, in 6 months, it will be 6 months out-of-date. If I buy a Mac today, in 6 months, it will be 2 years out-of-date.

Maybe it's immaterial. They'll both be made obsolete by Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge, just to varying degrees. In between the big lurching industry-wide advances, though, falling a year behind is a big deal when a machine has a three-year duty cycle.

[Jeremy Garchow] "You mean for servers? They can still use MacPros if they want. An Xserve is not a MacPro. As a matter of fact an Xserve was kind of like what Craig Seeman proposes the next macpro is going to be."

Mac Pros aren't as server-friendly as you might think. They're way too big, they don't offer server-specific features like redundant power supplies and lights-out management.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter