Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: Will Apple abandon pro-users all together? NOW: Democratization

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Walter SoykaRe: Will Apple abandon pro-users all together? NOW: Democratization
by on Nov 30, 2011 at 7:48:26 pm

[Frank Gothmann] "Since everybody here seems to be so much in favor of the so called democratization of editing and postproduction in general, let me be the devil's advocate and say that I am not."

Am I "in favor of democratization?"

Yes, in that it let me start a business ten years ago for a tenth of the money that it would have cost me just a few years before that.

No, in that someone else can start a business to compete with me today for a tenth of what I paid. The same phenomenon that allowed me to disrupt other businesses now threatens my own.

Does democratization encourage lower standards for quality, or do our lower standards for quality allow democratization? It's a chicken and egg question.

Cheap gear isn't even the big problem. Cheap labor is. Media is a sexy business which graduates more candidates every year than there are positions to fill. Supply and demand says that this will push wages down.

Democratization may be bad for business, because I'll be too expensive to win over the masses of cheap bids. It may be good for business, because the low quality of the cheap-bid work will help differentiate my higher quality work and actually increase its value.

I'm not trying to make a value judgment about democratization. Whether I like it or not, it's inevitable reality, like gravity, the speed of light, or the weather. You can like it or you can hate it -- just don't ignore it.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter