Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: Will Apple abandon pro-users all together?

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeremy GarchowRe: Will Apple abandon pro-users all together?
by on Nov 30, 2011 at 4:16:06 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "I know, I somewhat chose to ignore that point. it does.. look suspiciously free."

Take a really good look around.

The DaVinci platform is free.

Lightworks is also offering a platform, and it will be almost free.

Adobe allows you to hire the CS on a monthly (or yearly) basis, and some of it will be available in the cloud. They are also looking ahead and seeing how viable their software is going to run on (shudder) tablets. They know the power isn't there yet, but will it be there some day? http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud.html

It is up to the individual user to scale up these platforms and make it as pro as he or she needs. Is that going to destroy a craft?

That same mentor that I mentioned in his 30+ years of business, the rental costs of his tools to his clients has dramatically stayed pretty much the same, and his day rate rate hasn't changed a whole hell of a lot, and he is still doing just fine. That has been through the myriad of formats that have come and gone while price differences of those tools have fluctuated from a second mortgage to a second day of work. So, perhaps you and DRW will discount this. I will not. To each their own, it's really none of my business how you run your business.

This idea is not being held on to or offered only by Apple. As a matter of fact, it is how they are competing. It seems to be a new way of doing business and figuring out a cost structure.

While FCPX could be used as a "digital flier" maker, so could Adobe Illustrator, or Photoshop, or Photoshop Elements. But there's also people that can use those exact same tools and make great work. So I ask you, cliche or not, is it really the cost of the tools? This argument is not new, has already happened and will continue. It is perhaps our position and perspective in the midst of the argument that most likely has changed since we were forced to take a good look around. The world around us has certainly changed a bunch.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]