Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: FCPX metadata--how significant is it? And why?

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Christian SchumacherRe: FCPX metadata--how significant is it? And why?
by on Nov 17, 2011 at 2:24:07 pm

I believe Jeremy's experience on searching in FCP legacy's "Browser" is limited to a fat project with a massive bunch of clips in it. And I don't think he is into long-form, as well.

A fast searching result is achieved when applied to specific Bins (and Projects) which should be organized beforehand. So, when working in the big ones that's a necessary step to deal with. You have to know the best practices that go along with the tool you are working on. And I strongly believe the same applies to X as well, but in different scenarios, of course.

One more thing to consider is searching at a Sequence level when the "search command" is much faster and becomes a powerful tool to select a determined set of clips at once. When you combine searching in Browser along with searching in a Sequence, which can then hold those previous Bin results, you have both clean and organized interactions within your Projects. And there's labels, markers, custom columns fields to add even more functionality to the tool.

I'm not saying FCP X Collections or its metadata capability are useless, mind you. But I think this came up after a fellow user argued if legacy's searching functions even existed!!! So we had to chime in to point out that FCP 7 (when you know what you're doing) can be capable of organizing big projects, hence its widespread use in professional and complex scenarios. But that doesn't mean it was a simple or a perfect workflow BTW.

I believe FCP X is successful when allows a light user to achieve the same organizing results on its own simple way, and that's a good thing to consider. But one has to equally consider the mileage that FCP 7 went through to handle those complex Projects that it did "in the past". And it was far from buggy and useless, c'mon I think those adjectives fit in better with the new iteration of FCP, so watch out the language used at our beloved legacy software. It is prudent to wait until FCP X matures, until then use your helmets and take the heat.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]