Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: FCPX metadata--how significant is it? And why?

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeremy GarchowRe: FCPX metadata--how significant is it? And why?
by on Nov 16, 2011 at 8:34:52 pm

[Christian Schumacher] "On systems I have been to, no beach-balling or crashing when searching at all. YMMV. "

Yeah, and my bet is that those are small projects. I have a decent 8 core and fast storage. It's not my system, it's FCP. This particular project takes about 3 minutes to open. It's pretty big and has a ton of elements. It's 3 weeks of shooting 1TB of raw footage/audio (720p24, AVC-I, DSLR, AF100) and this doesn't include the DSLR ProRes transcodes, just the raw footage, countless sequences, and all of the P2 clips have a lot of metadata.

The simpler the project, the faster the search. FCPX is different.

This is someone who has used metadata as a tool to help me get the job done and enhance our workflow for years in FCP7, and it doesn't work as flexible as I want it to. Metadata is not an after thought for me. Here is the P2 metadata tool I use:

p2flow.png

All of this info gets sent to FCP (via XML) and the media is either connected to the native MXF files OR I can send this over to FCP ready for a log and transfer:

p2flow_transfer.png

All of that metadata is shoehorned in to FCP7 columns, which are fixed and limited (you can't create customs columns in FCP7, but you can create custom fields in FCPX). FCPX blows the doors of FCP7 in terms of metadata fields as my other screen grabs show.

Pomfort Silverstack is another example of a metadata tool for DSLR/Alexa/ProRes recorder footage:

http://pomfort.com/

[Christian Schumacher] "I can drag the resulting bin or some of the clips to a new timeline and have them all in there, nicely.
And they go to the sequence in the order that they are sifted in that resulting bin.
This is very, very helpful."

In FCPX, you could group these in a compound clip (which can act as a sequence), or add them to a smart collection, or select all, hit E and they all go to the timeline, OR NOT. I can simply find the clip that I want and edit it. Less clutter, less space, much faster and dynamic.

[Christian Schumacher] " the Find command also selects all clips that I further search for, "

Yeah, by clip name and some marker information/tc, but that's it. That is a tiny fraction of the available metadata. Try searching for a reel name on the sequence for example. Or any other data that is not tc/marker/clip name. You can't. I'm sorry, but FCP7 is not a metadata work horse. You are just going to have to trust that I actually use this stuff.

[Christian Schumacher] "I like the former FCP for its flexibility, something the new generation of this software is going to miss."

Oy

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]